Have you ever created a bucket list? Movies have been made about this concept with people living out their dreams and marking things off of their lists, one by one. Bucket lists usually become a more pressing topic of discussion when people are suddenly more aware that they aren’t going to live forever. There’s so much to do and see, but there’s so little time!
This is a great idea, but it’s not something that has ever been really appealing to me. There are plenty of amazing places in the world that would be exciting to see, but I don’t really want to experience anything wild like skydiving or swimming across the English Channel.
I decided a few years ago that instead of creating a Bucket List for myself, what I really wanted to develop was a Coffee List. First of all, it should surprise absolutely no one that my “do this before kicking the bucket” list involves coffee. Secondly, the nature of this list is all about connecting with people. My enneagram 2w3 heart would much rather build relationships and enjoy good conversation over a hot beverage than attempt to hike through the Himalayas any day of the week!
So who is on the list so far? Well, I’m so glad you asked! It is constantly growing, but this is what I can share today:
– ✅ Mary Marantz: This is actually the first one I can check off the list! I initially discovered Mary through her gorgeous memoir, Dirt: Growing Strong Roots in What Makes the Broken Beautiful. I then had the honor of joining the launch team for her second book, Slow Growth Equals Strong Roots. Fast-forward nearly a year – I wrestled with my self-doubt for a hot second, but thankfully I found my courage when I had the opportunity to fly up for a full day of 1:1 coaching with Mary at her beautiful house in Connecticut! We did in fact have some fantastic conversations over coffee, water, hot chocolate, and wine. Her coaching was invaluable, and she will be our very first guest on Create Some Breathing Room – don’t miss it!!
– Holley Gerth: This precious soul is the one who gave me the push I needed to step out in faith on this journey of writing and speaking! Her words in You’re Already Amazing and The Powerful Purpose of Introverts were pivotal points in my journey toward reclaiming my God-given identity after losing myself in a toxic marriage and a messy divorce. Our coffee chat is actually scheduled for THIS FRIDAY, and I cannot even believe that this is my life! 😉💕
– Jon Acuff: I first heard Jon speak in 2015 at a Young Living conference in Dallas, TX. I attended as a single mom from AR who was trying to grow this business along with 3 other jobs so the bills could get paid, and this man was super inspiring and hilarious as he talked about GOALS. I pre-ordered when he launched his book, Soundtracks, joined the book launch team for Your New Playlist, and I’m a big fan & customer of the huge wall calendar he promotes.
Question: Can someone be your mentor without actually knowing they’re your mentor? Is that a thing?? If nothing else, please go listen to Jon’s podcast and join me in blowing up an Amazon wishlist with all of the book recommendations given by his guests each week. You’re welcome.
– Bob Goff – I briefly met Bob at an event he spoke for at Harding University this past year, but there were no tasty drinks or in depth conversations that occurred. Actually, I just stood in a really long line for a really long time until I finally got his signature in a couple of his books that I adore (Dream Big & Love Does). This man has a passion for dreaming big, loving God, and loving people the way Jesus did. I just don’t think priorities can get much better than that.
– Donald Miller – So, funny story… I read Blue Like Jazz when I was in college, and I thought it was the best book ever written in the history of the world. It felt revolutionary to a college sophomore who was raised in the church of Christ, right in the buckle of the Bible Belt, and I was HERE FOR IT. Then I lived a lot of life and eventually started reading books related to business. Can we just talk a minute about how long it took me to realize that the Building a Storybrand Donald Miller and the Blue Like Jazz Donald Miller were the same man?? Actually, nevermind. Let’s not.
It was a joy to be an early reader and help launch his book Hero on a Mission out into the world! He wants his teachings to be accessible to all, and he is focused on the journey of growth towards being a guide for others. I am just convinced there is so much to learn from someone who is honest about money while also still focusing on how to best serve others in all things.
– Allison Fallon – I nearly had a stroke when Ally walked out on the stage at the hope*writers conference in North Carolina this past fall!! I love listening to her podcast, Find Your Voice, and her keynote at the conference was delivered with the exact same spirit: open, thoughtful, and honest. While I did have the opportunity to speak with her briefly after she spoke to the crowd, there wasn’t any coffee involved so it doesn’t count as being marked off the list!
Ok, it’s time – go make your list! it doesn’t have to be a “coffee list” specifically (just pick your favorite beverage), but you do have to think of who you would want to include on your list! And then please share with me in the comments – I’m dying to know!!
Some of the links I share are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you go through them to make a purchase. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because I think they are amazing and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases!